Thursday, September 15, 2011

A Man Apart - Patrick

This is a poem that was handed to me by my friend Patrick.  We met him at our 9th Street Cafe that we host every Friday morning.  It's a cafe we set up on the street as a way to build relationships with the people that live there.  Through this time and getting reconnected at church, Patrick has rediscovered his faith and has been a wonderful addition to our cafe community.  He is quick to sit and listen to others and offer kind words and comfort to the broken people that come for a cup of coffee and friendship.  He is also very bright and quite fun to talk politics, religion and culture with.  I have re-posted his beautiful and challenging poem describing life on 9th Street with his gracious permission.  -Chris

A Man Apart

When the darkness gathers
And I forget my name
When all my dreams are hollow
And love's a distant thing

With empty soul and pockets
I'm ashamed to meet your eyes
I've lost the skill for living
But I'm too afraid to die

I can't even name that drooling thing
That mocks my broken heart
I don't know how to find the Word
I am a man apart